Sunday, July 7, 2013

Cook with Ken: Hokkaido Seaweed Fermented Bean Curd Pork Ribs (北海道昆布腐乳焖排骨)

Date:  July 7, 2013

My dear wife cooked some dish today, I came out late from the room, and taste the dish, forgot to take photo, and I ate rice and her dish together, and my last comment was "Wah, I have never said that you cook something so nice, right?  This dish is really nice."  

I repeated that "This dish is really nice" at least 5 times.  And Jay Jay also ate the meat and rice together with me.  You know, we usually don't take carbo at night.  HaHaHaHaHa 

IMG 4247

Luckily my son still have one last piece of the pork rib.  So, I quickly took a photo of it.

IMG 4236

I finished my pork ribs long ago.  Ha Ha Ha.

IMG 4243

So, I tasted it over and over again, and I asked "How do you cook it?" Finally.  So, she was so happily and take out all the sauces and proudly put on the table for me to take the photo of.  HaHaHa

1.  This is the Hokkaido Kun Bu (昆布) seaweed.  You usually find this in Japanese high end grocery stores.  We bought it from Hokkaido last year.  Take 3 or 4 pieces, cut them into smaller pieces, and soak in the water for 10 minutes.

Prepare the iCook (from Amway), the magical pot.

Pour the seaweed together with the water into the pot.  The water should be enough to cover all the pork ribs you laid inside the pot.

IMG 4241

2.  Pork ribs.  Buy those premium pork ribs.  Nice one with a bit of fat.  Put those pork ribs in the iCook pot together with the seaweed and water.

3.  1/3 piece of the fermented bean curd.  This will gives a bit of spicy hint and bean taste.

IMG 4238

4.  A little bit of Shao Hsing Hua Tiao Chiew (Chinese Wine).  

IMG 4239

5.  A bit of light soya sauce.  Remember, iCook will enhance all the ingredients.  So, put a bit is fine.

IMG 4242

6.  A little bit of dark soya bean sauce.  This is for colouring.  My wife said, she added this because the colour is too "light".  

IMG 4240

7.  A pinch of salt and sugar.

8.  Cover the iCook cover, and then, turn on the medium fire, let it cook.  After about 20 minutes, you can hear the iCook cover is jumping a little, where it still have the vapour seal covering the pot.  Spin the cover, and it managed to spin for a long time, that indicates the food is fully cooked.

That's it!  So simple so easy.  And she really cooked one dish that I like and cannot forget.  

That is why I got to remember what she used to cook in this blog so that next time I can "replicate" it.

This is where she got the recipe from, but of course, since we have the iCook, you do not follow the recipe exactly.  But it is good enough for her to 误打误撞 and cook such a nice dish.  Well done Wife.  Your this dish is similar to Taiwanese 卤肉饭.  HaHaHaHa

IMG 4244

She so happy!  HaHaHaHaHa

IMG 4246

No comments:

Post a Comment