Saturday, June 26, 2010

MIO TV - Does not work for my home...

gstarted_diagram.gif

There is a very serious mistake in this diagram, and I think SingTel has oversold their MIO TV.

This is what happen:

1. I used to be on 10Mbps SingNet Broadband and I paid $88/month for it. Yes, they gave me a free Apple Macbook.

2. When the 2 years contract is up, I opt for the super Mio package. What this does, it reduced my subscriptions to about $68/month, they even up the bandwidth to 15Mbps. In addition, I got 20% off for both my iPhone monthly subscriptions. Lastly, they threw in a MIO TV for me. This is great deal. So I saved more than $60 per month from my mobile phones and Internet subscriptions and yet enjoy their MIO TV.

3. The problem now is, SingTel cannot get the MIO TV to work properly. They have sent technicians to my home and try to identify, and try to fix it. But nothing can be done.

4. After multiple time of discussion with them "technically", they finally given me a reason. This is because, my Internet is driven at a high speed of 15Mbps. Although the MIO TV is run on a different telephone line, but that has caused some interference by the 15Mbps SingNet Broadband which is run on a separate telephone line WITHIN a cable. (I cable usually have 4 pairs of telephone lines). So, they concluded that, I need to pull another cable in so that the new telephone line is run on a different cable and will not cause interference to each other. So, they recommend me to pull a new cable from the riser into my TV console. Well you know, the cable will be box up and will be very UGLY in a condo which I have concealed all the cables and wires.

5. So, they told me, I have to choose between Internet and MIO TV if I insists to run on a single UTP Cable. I have no choice but to keep the Internet, as Internet is a life line for this house. Both myself and my wife relies on Internet to do our jobs, i.e. Web Conferences, etc.

6. My MIO TV set top box has since placed in my closet for more than 6 months now.

7. But I don't have huge complaints on this. As I am already paying lower for my Internet, and get additional $40 savings for my iPhone mobile subscriptions. I really don't have a complaint on this. But I just felt weird that I was given something FREE that does not work.

I think MIO TV has a long way to go to compete with Starhub Cable TV. Yes, they might win the EPL today, but just think about it... how many people, especially those who lives in Condo and landed properties will allow SingTel or OpenNet to come in to install and box up the cable in their living room? I will not allow that!

Note that in the diagram, they need only 1 cable to go to the ADSL2+ modem which will drive the MIO Voice, SingNet Broadband and MIO TV. This is obviously wrong for my case. So, they should change it.

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Do you still have the name of company that installed your mioTV? I'm trying locate a friend working as a installer for mioTV, had lost contact with him. If possible, please email me at byire@hotmail.com
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think MIO TV has far to go to contend with Starhub Cable TV. Yes, they may win the EPL today, yet only consider it... what number of individuals, particularly the individuals who exists in Condo and arrived properties will permit Singtel or Opennet to come into introduce and box up the link in their lounge? I won't permit that!

    ReplyDelete