Sunday, April 8, 2012

Cook with Ken: Better Way to Steam Fish

Date:  Apr 8, 2012

After steaming the fish a few times... today, I am going to try something new...

1.  A yellow tail or seabass.  I also confuse, what fish it is.

IMG_6795.jpg

2.  I still got some bacons.

IMG_6797.jpg

3.  Slices or dice it.  You can use fresh pork belly if you have.

IMG_6796.jpg

4.  This time, I stuff the bacons in the fish belly.  It does not actually alter any taste, but merely housekeeping.  Make it look nicer.

IMG_6798.jpg

5.  Of course, I place some on the plate.  These bacons does not taste nice after steaming.  But it add some porky flavor into the soup base.

IMG_6799.jpg

6.  One fresh tomato.  Somehow, my place has a lot of tomatos.  This is the tomatos on the vine.  Very juicy, nice.

IMG_6800.jpg

7.  Slice it and place nicely on the plate.

IMG_6801.jpg

8.  Slice some young ginger.  (Actually, I tried to used up all my gingers).  Spread it out on the plate.

IMG_6802.jpg

9.  Now, place the fish on top of the decors.

IMG_6803.jpg

10.  Dice some garlic.  Spread it on top of the fish.

IMG_6804.jpg

11.  Place a few wolfberry on top of the fish.

IMG_6805.jpg

12.  Cut some tofu, spread it out around the fish.  Tofu will squeeze some water out.  So, later, remember don't put too much water.

IMG_6807.jpg

13.  Lastly, some parsley, some green onions...

IMG_6808.jpg

14.  Spread 1-2 spoonful of sesami oil, another 1-2 spoonful of cooking oil on top of it.  Then, 1-2 spoonful of Hua Tiao Chinese Cooking Wine.

IMG_6809.jpg

15.  I also put in some fish sauce.

IMG_6810.jpg

16.  I also put in some red yeast soya sauce.  Normal soya sauce will be fine too.

IMG_6811.jpg

17.  Pinch some salt, spread it on top of the fish.

IMG_6812.jpg

18.  Now, you can place it into your steamer.  (You can use the wok, plus water, and the steamer pot too).

IMG_6813.jpg

19.  Steaming time.

IMG_6814.jpg

20.  My fish is about 600g.  So, let's set it to 10 minutes.  This is the new trick.  Yesterday, when I steam the fish, I steam it for straight 25 minutes.  When the times up, I serve it immediately.  Today, I will steam it for 10 minutes, and then, let it remain in the steamer and let it continue simmer without power for another 10 minutes.  This is exactly the same as how I cook my steak, i.e. cook 8 minutes, let it REST for 8 minutes.  This is also exactly the same way as how I cook my chicken.  When the water is boiling, turn off the power and leave the chicken in there for another 10-15 minutes to REST or continue cooking.

IMG_6815.jpg

As Kay Kay loves to eat Tofu, I also steam the tofu together with my fish.

IMG_6816.jpg

Hopefully later you taste good!  haha

IMG_6817.jpg

Remember, after 10 minutes of steaming, don't take it out immediately, leave it in the steamer for another 10-15 minutes for it to REST, and continue cooking with the remaining heat in there.

IMG_6818.jpg

After the complete cooking cycle, here is my fish!  Now, you can add more parsley, and a bit of chinese cooking wine on it.  A taste of the soup, NICE!  Tasty, sweet.  That is the taste you want from a fresh fish.

IMG_6825.JPG

Now, look at the meat, it is just well done.  Not overly cook, and it is very smooth!

IMG_6828.jpg

So, the taste is not too chewy, but it is smooth and good.

IMG_6829.jpg

OK.  Finally, I got the steam fish right.  Next time, will be using different ingredient and experiment time.  :)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment