Sunday, August 28, 2011

Slow HomePlug? Try A Powerline Filter

Date:  Aug 28, 2011

www.Smallnetbuilder.Com has a very nice article about the powerline noise generated but all sort of Electrical Appliance and the solutions to it.  HomePlug or PLC is really a good solution at home, but those handphone chargers however are killing it.  So, you need to somehow isolate it.  Thanks Larry for sharing it.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-howto/31316-slow-homeplug-try-a-powerline-filter

I switched to use Aztech HL115EP, the latest one that comes with a AC Pass Through, and I have run it for almost 2 months, without any issue (cross fingers, touch wood).  :)  I actually switched from the Aztech HL280E which delivers 1Gbps speed using MediaXtream technology.  I used that for almost 2 moths, but I had problem stablizing it.  I end up needed to restart the HL280E quite often, as well as let it cool down for 15 minutes before I turned it back on again.

NewImage.jpg

The above diagram is in fact the correct way to use it.  Make sure you plug your near by electrical alliance behind the AC passthru filter.  I believe that is a noise filter that will isolate the noises out.  Even if you have 3 others plugs there, don't use them.

Below is how I actually setup my HomePlug HL115EP.  As you can see, I did not use the near by power plugs at all.  I just put an extension plug behind the HomePlug HL115EP and run all my Synology, Routers, Switches behind it.  I even run a cooling fan to cool down the cisco SLM2008 switch.

photo.JPG

But I still hope that I can buy the Surestreamer.  I look at their youtube on the performance.  I am amaze with it.  But it is not available yet, and I am trying to find

http://youtu.be/kUAnL3ZxToQ

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. I try to use IPcam with Aztech 280E, but the Aztech does allow me to access ports like 8888, 8890 or 99

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous

    Have you check the manual? Why would Aztech block all these ports? They are just a wire line, it does not do any other things at all, but blindly transmit the signal from one end to the other end.

    --ken

    ReplyDelete